Pursuing Dream: Belajar Bahasa Lagi

by 6:16 AM 6 komentar
Embassy English Centre, Surabaya: small, cozy, superb design.
I am taking an English course. Again. At Embassy English Centre, Surabaya.

Everything was started when I had this dream—I have this dream. This is not a new dream: it has been on my mind, so long, but it seems so far, out of reach, I do not think I can make it. Even so, out of blue, I decided, "I am going to make it happen."

First of all, this dream requires me to have strong ability in English. The score of TOEFL has been set and I have to pass it.
Do I?
Nope. Not yet.
The last time I took a TOEFL Paper-Based-Test test I got only 510 of 677 (approximately 63 of 120 for internet-Based-Test). Not really bad, still it is under the requirement.
It was two months ago, by the way.
See, I need twenty two years to hit that score and only in few months I have to increase it like 40 or 60 points for PBT (or 20 for iBT). Besides, TOEFL iBT is expensive, it will be such a waste if I do not pass it.
To me, inshaa Allah, there is nothing impossible. I will make it. I can make it. Everything will be beautiful in time as long as I pray hard and work hard.
So, I came up with this idea: how if I take an English course again?
I asked my family's advice and they supported me. So, yes, I finally registered.
And... I do not regret even an inch of me. I love the class, the room, the learning process. I love speaking English, but I have never been so confident, and in this class I can speak like a native though I know I am not! At all!
I am currently on Foundation class which helps me the basic of writing. It requires twelve meetings before the TOEFL preparation class. I have been on eighth meeting--it is an intensive class.
In order to pursue this dream, I also learn my third language: Arabic.
Since long time ago I want to be able to speak Arabic. However, to be honest, the feeling is not that "big", I could not feel the urge even though I know I have to.
How does it feel to learn new language?
It feels great and exciting! When I attended the first class, I thought about learning other languages again because this is addicting. Then, I thought about Spain and Japan.
Okay, put them aside first owing to the desire of being master in English and Arabic.
And, what is really weird about learning language: while I learn my second languange, English, I think a lot in my native language, Indonesian; while I learn my third language, Arabic, I think a lot in my second language.. Confusing, no; complicated, yes.
Back to the title, what is the dream I am pursuing right now?
I am not going to tell. :P


*pic credit: Embassy English Centre, Surabaya.

Alvi Syahrin

Developer

A dream-oriented person since 1992. Telah menerbitkan dua novel: Dilema; Tiga Cerita untuk Satu Rasa dan Swiss; Little Snow in Zurich. Tak lama lagi, novel ketiganya, yang berjudul "I Love You; I Just Can't Tell You" akan terbit. Saat ini, selain merampungkan novel keempat, dia juga sedang mempersiapkan proyek-proyek untuk masa depan. Dan, satu hal yang selalu dia genggam erat dalam hidup ini: Akan ada sesuatu yang lebih baik dari sebuah kegagalan. Allah selalu tahu mana yang terbaik. Lagi pula, hidup tak melulu di dunia. Kau bisa menyapanya lewat Twitter, Instagram, dan ask.fm: AlviSyhrn.

6 comments:

  1. Nice to read this. Actually, I wanna join course again, but ... u know I'm in Palu now. I think there is no recommended course here. Whereas, I really wanna join Mandarin too, but I've waited. Pray me so that I can't move to the city where I can learn those more :)

    Honestly, I wanna say: Cheer up, Vi. You can do that! :D (y)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terakhir aku tes TOEFL skorku 621.
    Tapi aku lebih suka menulis dalam bahasa indonesia, saat ini juga memperdalam inggris, dan belajar bahasa mandarin,jepang, korea dan thai.
    Entah kenapa bahasa tidak pernah menjadi hal mudah untukku, tetapi yang menarik ketika aku mempelajari bahasa baru, aku juga mempelajari budaya negara tersebut.

    Sukses dan semangat terus untuk anda :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha you know, you make me curious and i hate it :P umm even so, i really love swiss! thank you for make it happen :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Belajar memang selalu seru! Aku juga sepertinya akan les Inggris lagi. Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Studying abroad?
    510 sounds good enough :)

    Have a nice day :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too, want to learn english more.. Haven't take any course since Senior High School. in last 6 months, i took a TOEFL test, and only get 503 points. I have a dream that requires more than 503 TOEFL points. I'm thinking about getting english course again..

    Btw, whatever your dream is, I hope it will be granted very soon. Aamiin.

    ReplyDelete